Wednesday, January 17, 2007

This is the Way of Love


'Two Men with Umbrella', Photographer Unknown, c. 1890

If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy
But don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate
If I speak God's word with power
Revealing all his mysteries
And making everything plain as day
And if I have faith that says to a mountain,
"Jump" and it jumps
But I don't love, I'm nothing.

If I give everything I own to the poor
And even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr
But I don't love, I've gotten nowhere
So, no matter what I say
What I believe and what I do
I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up
Love cares more for others than for self
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have
Love doesn't strut
Doesn't have a swelled head
Doesn't force itself on others
Isn't always "me first"
Doesn't fly off the handle
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others
Doesn't revel when others grovel
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth
Puts up with anything
Trusts God always
Always looks for the best
Never looks back
But keeps going to the end.

We only see a portion of the truth
And what we say about God is always incomplete
But when the Complete arrives, our incompleteness will be cancelled.
We don't see things clearly
We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist
But it won't be long before the weather clears
And the sun shines bright!
We'll see it all then
See it all as clearly as God sees us
Knowing him directly just as he knows us!

But for right now, until that completeness
We have three things to do
To lead us toward that consummation:
Trust steadily in God
Hope unswervingly
Love extravagantly
And the best of the three is love.
(From 'The Message' 1 Corinthians 13)