Sunday, April 06, 2008

Blowing Bubbles

I first heard this song about nine months ago, when a friend (Mr W) lent me a couple of CDs consisting of a compilation of songs he had burnt. He said that there might be a few songs in there that I might like. And he was right. There was one song in particular - 'Blowing Bubbles' by the Lightning Seeds.

‘Blowing Bubbles’ made me laugh at first because it seemed so frivolous, so silly to be singing about bubbles. Yet the reason why I like this song so much is precisely because it’s not frivolous. I love how its seemingly frivolous chorus gives off an air of ridiculousness. Yet scratch the surface a little and you find that the lyrics actually encapsulate an aspect of humanity which is so close to me, and perhaps to many of us.

And it’s then that the very act of ‘blowing bubbles’ suddenly becomes far more meaningful than the superfluous, innocent image it may have conveyed initially.

As I ponder about the lyrics, I wonder how many of us have spent long nights and days talking to ourselves and to loved ones, sometimes going round in circles, searching for answers and reasons to questions that cannot be answered? How we have tried all sorts of ways to ease the pain and make it go away. And how many lies I have – you have – we have – had to swallow sometimes just to face the world? And what happens when our seemingly perfect bubble dream or dreams burst? And we are forced to recalibrate and take stock of our direction again. Just how long will I – will we keep dreaming elusive perfect bubbles? And how long will I hold out for that deep… whatever it is that I am longing and dreaming for?

Perhaps it’s time to sweep the picture clean, end the foggy yesterday and start afresh, anew? Is there a need to? And how do I invite God back in? Where do you fit into all this, into our lives, God? How much of it is me, and how much of it is it really you, in the form of the Holy Spirit? And do I still trust You? Do I even trust myself? Thing is, how do I get You to blow bubbles with me?

This song is as much for me as it is for the good friend I mentioned in one of my recent posts 'Songs for a Friend'. Unfortunately, I have yet to find an audio/video clip freely available online that I could embed in this post. However, here is a link to an audio clip which will allow you to listen to the song once. May it bring you some light-hearted cheer and put a smile on your face. And as for Mr W – you’re a Godsend. Thank you for blowing bubbles into my life.

'Blowing Bubbles' (from the album Pure)

A whole night
Of talking in circles
Searching for reasons to save us
And keep it all painless

All the lies you've had to swallow
Just to face the world tomorrow
Blowing bubbles

Your whole world
Can turn on a moment
Some things can come back and haunt you
They're too late to warn you

Blowing bubbles, it's the final straw
They never last too long but for a moment
Perfection’s floating through an open door
You try and touch it but it turns to nothing

Drinking in the dead of night
Tobacco clouds that sting your eyes
You've locked your feelings deep inside
Growing pains that never die
You need to sweep the picture clean
And start to dream another dream
And end this foggy yesterday
That still reminds you