Sunday, April 06, 2008

Nobody Sees

Seems like these days, words don’t come to me as easily as they used to. I find that it is much easier to let music do my talking instead.

Whenever I listen to this Powderfinger song, I find myself converging in my mind in two slightly different directions.

The first is that of self-reflection and a stocktaking of my own life – the questions I haven’t dared yet to ask, the “what ifs” to the many possible paths I could take in this life. The questions that belie the deeper hopes and dreams that I haven’t yet dared breathe life into. The unanswered questions. Like the Psalmists who penned many heartwrenching psalms and songs in the Old Testament, he knows the lament is not offensive to God, who longs to hear our grievances.

"All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you." Psalm 38:9

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

And like the Psalmist, at the end of it, I know I can find comfort in Christ,who wept for his dead friend Lazarus, and again over the fate of Jerusalem before his crucifixion. He knows what it is like to have a broken heart and he knows what it is to be abandoned and alone.

"Jesus wept." John 11:35



Nobody Sees - Powderfinger

Who's gonna pick you up?
Who's gonna bend your rules?
Who's gonna be your prop?
Who's gonna play your fool?

Nobody knows just how it feels today
Nobody sees how our hearts break

Who's gonna watch your back?
Who's gonna reel you in?
Who'll make surprise attacks?
Who's gonna be there at the end?

Nobody knows just how it feels today
Nobody sees how our hearts break

Who's gonna bring you round?
Who's gonna let you sleep?
Who's gonna break your frown?
Who's gonna fall down at your feet?

The second direction my mind takes is that on friendships and the beauty of close friendships. I think of Sam and Frodo from Lord of the Rings or David and Jonathan, or Ruth and Naomi from the Old Testament. The friend or friends who will stand by your side for better, for worse. Or as this next YouTube videoclip suggests, between Dean and Sam from Supernatural. Now, I have never ever seen an episode of Supernatural so I really cannot comment on their relationship in the context of the TV show.

But I thought the clip portrayed their friendship in a way that was strangely analogous to the journey that we are on – for those of us who are followers of Christ – in terms of our duty of care and love we have towards our fellow pilgrims, our fellow brothers (and sisters) in Christ. Of how we are to encourage one another and to help carry each other’s burdens and to watch out for each other, not forgetting that our struggle is not just against flesh and blood, but also against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6:12)

Click here for if you're curious in checking out the YouTube clip with the same song set to scenes involving Dean and Sam from Supernatural.